Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration Day

This morning I decided that my class would watch the Inauguration on television. I didn't think I would be affected by it all. I was very touched by the whole event. It was truly beautiful and it made me proud to be an American and live in this wonderful country where the opportunities are endless, if we but work for them. I was moved by the beautiful music. Can I just say, I love YoYo Ma.

I teach 1st and 2nd graders and I didn't know how they would react to it all. They were very quiet and respectful. They stood when we were asked to stand when the oath of office was given. They seemed very engrossed in the President's speech as well. I was thrilled that I could share it with this class.

My 2nd graders are learning how to write a friendly letter and after the Inauguration was over it was writing time. We were going to start a new letter and go through the whole brainstorm, planning, writing, editing cycle once again and I asked, "Who should we write a letter to?" I was hoping I would get some buy in, since I was planning that we write to the President. I had many students shout out, "the president, the president". So that is what we are doing. I think I will send them too. I think he needs to know what children think.

3 comments:

  1. That is awesome! And I think that it's great that your kids want to express their thoughts to the new president. I wonder if the inauguration is something that they'll remember exactly where they were when it happened... kinda like the Challenger accident or when you discovered your passport had been stolen in Bergen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great that you let your grade schoolers watch it. Bethany's class watched it too & she was moved to tears. You know Bethany, it doesn't take much, but still, it's neat to see children learn about & care so much about their country.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our kids were either able to listen to is or watch it. THe ones that listened via radio felt short-changed they couldn't watch it in real time! I'm glad you were able to share that with them. It's an important thing to witness and be aware of.

    ReplyDelete