Monday, February 9, 2009

Grandma


This is my Grandma Cox. She is one of the most amazing women I know. She is part of the reason my mother is also an amazing woman. She turned a century old on Saturday and what a century it has been. She has had a lot of sorrow in her life. Her father was murdered when she was 15 years old. She was a young widow with six children to raise. She lost three other children to death. All of her experiences have contributed to what kind of woman she became.
I think of all she gave to each of her children and grandchildren. Most of all she gave us her time. She spent countless hours with each of us. I think all of us thought we were her favorite.
She taught school for many years. She retired at the end of my first grade year. I still remember going to her classroom after school. I loved being in her classroom. I remember how it felt. It was warm and beautiful. I try to create that atmosphere in my own classroom.
I think of all the things she has taught her children, grandchildren, and even great-grandchildren. She has taught us to be fearless, and to do things with our lives that maybe we didn't think were possible. She has taught us to love the gospel and to be faithful. She has taught us about selfless service. I hope to live my life so that she can be proud that I am her granddaughter.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful post, Jennifer. I never realized that she was still teaching when you were in school. You are so lucky to have been in her classroom! I've been working on an entry, but my words just don't seem adequate. I need to get it done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know that either jennifer. I assumed it was long before that. That's pretty special that you got to experience that and have that memory. I am so glad you shared your feelings about her. It's been so good to celebrate her birthday by thinking and feeling about her and sharing with each other. THank you.

    ReplyDelete