Monday, March 30, 2009

Dancing wth the Star!

Alyssa loves her ballet class. She loves dressing up in her dance clothes and ballet shoes. She loves her teacher too. She is lots of fun to watch. She can get a little distracted by other kids in the class. There is this horrible little boy named Joey in her class and Joey distracts her a lot. He is always doing annoying things. The teacher seems like she is about done with him. I keep hoping they'll kick him out. I know that is mean of me and he probably has issues. Oh well.

Several weeks ago he went to sit by her before class. She was wearing this velour leotard. It is kind of soft and plush to the touch. Joey kept touching her all over. It was all I could do not to go over there and rip the little punk's head off. She had this funny uncomfortable look on her face the whole time. After class when we were in the car going home, I asked her how she felt about Joey. She told me that she didn't like him, because he kept touching her. I asked her if she had asked him to stop. She said no. I told her, "Alyssa, you have the right to tell him to stop touching you!" She said, "I do?" The whole way home, we practiced, "Joey, stop touching me!"

She wore the same leotard a couple of weeks later and again Joey sidled up to her. He started putting his hands on her again. She looked over at me and I nodded at her. Then she put her hands on her hips, stared him in the eye and said strongly, "Joey stop touching me!" He looked at her with this shocked look on his face and walked away from her. He has pretty much stayed away from her in class ever since. I don't think anyone has ever said no to that child before. Go Alyssa!

3 comments:

  1. Go mom! I'm so glad you noticed her discomfort and taught her how to handle it. You did great and so did she!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go Alyssa! My first reaction would be to handle it myself - go say something to the kid, that's so wise of you to teach her what she can do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily says the same thing to me sometimes.

    ReplyDelete